Saturday, February 28, 2009

Its all about pork

We are do it yourself people around here. Today we butchered hogs, 4 total. One for each on my brothers, 1 for us and 1 for my aunt and uncle. I was not going to take any pics but when we started stuffing sausage I thought some of you might like to see it. We put some in 1lb bags and then we made some sausage links with natural casings. I wont tell you what that is but I am sure you can figure that one out. It might make you look at sausage links a little different. Here is a pic of the casings.
Here is a pic of a big roll of sausage.

We also made some small sausage linksAnd here a pic of the old cast iron press we use to fill the casings and make cracklings


When I was a kid and we still had the big farm we also done our own cattle. We still raise a couple steers every year or so but we send them to the locker to get processed these days. I was wanting to get a lamb this year too, its been a long time since we have had lamb meet and its sooo good, but the freezers are full so maybe later. This is usually a 2 day process but this year we were able to get it all done in one day. How did Lisa put it when I told her what we were doing this weekend, there is no place like Greeeeeen Acres LOL God Bless and have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment