Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 1

Its been a long time since I have hatched eggs, so today I went and got a new incubator. I use to be fairly good at it, we will have to see if I still have what it takes. I have hatched chickens, ducks, geese, and quail, always wanted to do turkeys but never got around to it. I haven't ever had good luck raising turkeys either. I put 20 duck eggs in the incubator today after I got it all set up. It takes some time to get the temp regulated, which is very important in hatching it took me several hours this evening to get it right. If all goes well I will have baby ducks April 6th. I will be candling them in a week or so to see how they are doing and get rid of any bad eggs that may be there. I am not sure if I can get a good pic of that but I will try to post one when I do. Its pretty cool to see the start of that babies when you hold the egg up to a light. The baby ducks will be a mix of Mallards and Jumbo Pekins. I have a pair of Mallards and a trio of Pekins along with 8-10 Cochin chickens.

Once the duck eggs hatch I am going to hatch some more baby chics. My rooters (the butt) really needs replaced he likes to flog when you ain't paying attention. Have you ever seen the movie Cold Mountain? There is a flogging rooster that gets his neck rung, I think of that alot when I am out in the barn. Is that mean? He will go good with noodles! He will usually leave me alone but attack anyone new that comes in the barn but tonight he got me a good one on the thigh. Its funny to watch my nephew try to come in the barn to help get the eggs, he opens the gate steps inside and once he sees the rooster walking closer with his head down acting like he is scratching the ground Austin takes off. From time to time I can get Austin in as long as I will walk between him and the rooster and promise to kick the rooster across the barn if he comes at us. Its really funny if you were here to see it.

I just love Spring and there will be babies everywhere in April, baby bunnies and baby ducks all on the way! Dont forget all the new flowers that will coming up too! All I need is some Goats and Sheep to have babies that I can watch bounce around like little pogo sticks. God Bless!!

1 comment:

  1. What FUN! I LOVE duckies. I'd like to have them on our pond, but hubby thinks it would be foolish just to feed the coyotes. I'm sure he's right, but............. :^(

    I can fix you up with some sheep - vbeg!

    ReplyDelete