Saturday, April 24, 2010

New Kids

As promised here are some pics of the new critters that have came to live on the ol homestead.

This is Woody, Dads new Mountain Curr. Mountain Curr's are used to hunt a verity of things, Woody is a squirrel dog.

These are Jumbo Courtnix Quail. They are 10 days old in this photo, when they hatched they were the size of bumblebees. At 7 weeks of age they will start laying eggs that we will incubate and raise quail for food.

Here we have 73 sex-link pullets and yes 73 that was not a typo. We do sell a lot of eggs but I am still not sure what ever possessed me to buy so many. I got them at TSC and they gave me a pretty good deal. I guess I can always sell some as layin hens when they get bigger.

I am really getting into growing our own food lately. With the rabbits, chickens, quail and turkeys I am off to a good start. I still have some other things I want but just not totally ready for them yet. Not sure if I will be able to talk anyone into goats I might just have to bring them home without anyone knowing LOL. Even if I do I know no one here other than me would eat one LOL. You might think that sound nasty but if you like deer you will like goat meat.

My cat Sugar not a new kid but the last time I posted a pic of her she was a kitten and how she is all grown up. God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of folks are beginning to grow more of their own food. I have seen quail for sale sometimes, and wondered what there were used for. (duh) The only thing I had ever seen was people use them for training Pointer hunting dogs.

    ReplyDelete