Monday, November 30, 2009

Sheep Talk!

There has been some talk around the house about getting some sheep for both wool and meat. It is not something that will happen soon because I will have to build a small barn and fence off part of the pasture for grazing. I am only wanting 3-4 sheep that would include a ram and a couple ewes. That will give more wool than I need so would have some for sale and give us lambs to put in the freezer. I am thinking Babydoll Southdown sheep A small easy keeping sheep that will still give plenty of fine wool for spinning and enough meat for the 3 of us and a lamb or 2 to sell. I will know more once I spin some Southdown wool that I just finished washing. I have been saying for along time I wanted Rambouillets but they are rather large so would need more grazing room, and would give way more wool than I would ever need. Another possibility would be Icelandics or Cheviots but the Cheviots I have been around were always kinda crazy so I don't see that one happening at all. Thinking all kinds of thoughts about sheep and barns right now. God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. WHAT??!!?! Not BFLs?!!?!? Harumpft!

    LOLOL - sheep are fun - you'll enjoy them. Cheviots are crazy at times, but smart, tough little sheep. But their wool.....probably not what you'd want for blending with angora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby EA looks just like mine! I had hoped for more than 1 but I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete