Friday, February 5, 2010

From bunny to yarn

I have always found it kinda cool how different wool looked on the rabbit then it does when its spun, so I took some pics of bunny, batt, yarn to share. My opal EA doe had started chewing her wool so I clipped and spun it up before she ruined her hole coat.

Bunny

Batt

Yarn This was my first time spinning Opal I think it really turns out a pretty color. I have been spinning alot of angora lately my angora stash is almost gone, good thing a couple bunns are ready to be clipped. One in an agouti I may start that one next.

Its snowing like crazy here just like it is almost everywhere east. Stay warm and dont get out unless you have to. If your traveling to the PA convention be very careful! God Bless be safe!

7 comments:

  1. I cannot understand it when people say they can't keep up with spinning one bunny. LOL
    I have 15 and they can't begin to keep up with me! I just got a BUNCH off of Marinette - her cream wool came out in huge fistfuls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sell most of my wool, so usually don't spin much pure angora but lately I can't get enough of it. There is no way I could keep up with spinning all the wool my Giants and Germans give me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you breed purebred giants? I'm in Ky near Louisville and I can't find a Breeder with giants. I'm not sure if I want to breed or show them. But, I want a quailty Rabbit incase I decide to later. For now they will just be my pet. I had a engish that died about 7 years ago I loved him but I hated the constant molting on my furniture. So, I thought that a giant would be better. Plus I lot the big bunnies. Anyway if you know anyone around here, or who comes to local shows please let me know thanks>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willow farms- The english have a very sweet and personable attitude. Love the soft wool spinns up great. I would say on average you only get 3-4oz of wool at a time. They can be shorn just like Germans you just wont get much wool, it will be softer though. I would not recogmend an angora for a house pet because of all the wool getting everywhere but that's just me. I would think a non molting breed like Germans would do better in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benandjill- I do ahve Giants and I am only about an hour north of Louisville KY. I have tons of babies right now as well my emial is psalms121@rocketmail.com if you wanna contact me. There will be a show in Jeffersonville March 6th I am hoping to be at if you wanna look at babies.

    ReplyDelete