Friday, January 22, 2010

Color Help?

I have a litter of German cross babies that have me a little puzzled so I was hoping some of you could help me. They are out of a Black buck and a choc doe. The black father is out of a choc tort and a REW the Choc doe I have no clue, I dont believe her pedigree is correct. I have 1 REW baby and the others I am thinking could be seal but not sure so I tried to get some pics.


The brown cast did not come out in this pic as much as I had hoped.

Bad belly pic sorry I cut off his/her butt. LOL

The kit on the left is from another litter and I know this one is black. The kit on the right is the one in question. I really hope the brown cast came through on these pics enough to tell. They were not the easiest pics to get. Feel free to leave a comment on my blog or email me at psalms121@rocketmail.com God bless and thanks for your help!

2 comments:

  1. That's what Sable looked like at that age. She also had blue/gray eyes, but they turned brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed a big answer with all the codes and stuff, and then I closed the window before I typed the stupid code in........grrrr.
    Will try again.

    Your buck is aaBbCcD-Ee So the only genes he has to give are "c" (REW) and "C" (full color)
    A seal needs to have 2 copies of c(chl) shaded gene, and he does not have it to give. Since there is a REW in the litter, we know the doe carries REW "c" also. If the kit is a sable, which is looks like it is, that means your doe is aabbc(chl)cD-E- which makes her actually a chocolate sable. I had one of those once; she was lighter than a normal chocolate and if you looked closely, you could see the shading. Her eyes had a ruby glow, and the wool went from chocolate to white at the skin without the grey underwool.

    ReplyDelete