Tuesday, February 15, 2011

More Black Giants

Here are a couple of pics of my latest 2 hopeful keepers out of my black Giant project.
Dusty's Solomon so far he is the biggest out of the 2 so I am hoping he will be a nice big buck and be my next herd sire.
 Dusty's Jael a little smaller than her brother but does not fail in type or density.  Both of these go back to black Germans that were imported in 2006.  What I love about working with some of the black Germans is how well they keep color all the way to the skin.  They wont stay coal black like they are now but they will stay a nice darker gray color, my crosses with other other breeds fade a lot more and some have been very pale colored.   Of course the more I breed "true for color" the better the color stays.  Texture on the black Germans is not quite as soft as I like in my Giants, but what they do for color and density more than makes up for that.  I was able to get another black German recently from my friend Joyce that has very nice texture and make 10lbs very early, so I am anxiously waiting to be able to breed her.  God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. I need to find a copy of the working standard on these so I can show them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do not have one yet wont be presented until 2012 Janet Gruber has the COD

    ReplyDelete