Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Habakkuk

For some reason the name Habakkuk came to mind the first time I saw a pic of my ram.  So from that time on I knew that would be his name.  It's kinda odd though Habakkuk is the name of an Old Testament book and he was a profit, but other than that I know nothing about him and I have not read the book of Habakkuk yet either.  I guess it was just God saying "I am letting you have these sheep and this is what I want you to call him."  So it that is how Habakkuk got his name.
 I never seem to remember to take my camera out with me while doing chores so I missed getting pics of the sheep running around and jumping after their evening meal.  Habakkuk would take a short run then bounce like a pogo stick bend in half in the air and then start all over.  The ewes thought he was a little crazy I think.  While I was out watching them I noticed some wool on the fence.  Turns out it was from Habakkuk and a nice little sample as well.
 I am guessing it is from his neck wool since it is a shorter stable than the wool on his midsection, but as clean as it is it may not be either.  No matter where it is from it is so very soft and makes me not wanna wait another month till shearing time.  I am ready to get that fleece on the wheel!  Shetland have 3 different fleece types and I have all 3 of them here.  Habakkuk is a "longish wavy" fleece.  I have 2 kindly/single coated ewes and 1 double coated ewe.  All have very soft wool but all will be make a different type of yarn.  I cant make up my mind if I wanna sell any of my wool from the sheep this year or if I wanna horde it all to myself.   Hope you enjoyed the pics God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. Always enjoy seeing photos of your various animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say horde the first year's fleeces then sell/share the bounty next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Habbakkuk - good stuff, you'll enjoy reading it! Oh yeah, the ram's nice too - ha-ha. No, really, he's gorgeous, and don't forget that Shetland will blend wonderfully well with your Angora.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shetland and angora are super nice!! It spins real nice too!! If you make some roving, put it in your etsy store or just let me know, I want to buy some!! Your ram looks like a "Habbakkuk", haven't read that either. Need too!

    ReplyDelete