Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hoosier Hills Fiber Fest

This weekend was the Hoosier Hills Fiber Fest in Franklin IN where Joyce and I shared a booth. I ended up doing a little better than I thought but sales were still a little low. Of course I ended up spending more than I made but it was a worth while investment. I picked up a suri llama fleece, traded some angora yarn for a llama fleece, traded Joyce some roving for some llama and wool roving. I ended up with lots of llama LOL Thats great since llama is one of my favorite fibers though. The best part of my weekend was getting to see my friend Kathy Obrakta out and about who I have not been able to see much since she got sick. I believe the good Lord is really helping take care of Kathy very well.

This guy was giving demos on blade shearing sheep.

Little lambs in a pen.

Two little lambs in my dads dog box in the back of his truck?

Meredith in the front and Kristina behind all settled in a small pen in my barn for a couple days while they adjust to the new surroundings. They are 50% Cormo 25% Shetland and 25% Finn. The start of my spinners flock! Once these girls are old enough to breed I plan to get a Cormo Ram and a Cormo BL X colored ewe. I called and asked Dad for permission for a lamb since I would have to depend on him to come get it and take it home for me and he talked me into 2 lambs. Whoever thought my own Dad would be a bad influence on me? I tell you God really blessed me with wonderful parents that are very supportive and understanding of all my hobbies. God bless and hope you had a blessed weekend as well!

4 comments:

  1. Good choice! The Cormo and Shetland will make for a sooooft fleece, and the Finn will ensure you multiples at lambing time. The Cormo ram I understand, but why a Cormo/Border Leicester cross? The longwools have great luster, but are pretty coarse. Now that you are getting into sheep, maybe you should talk to our friend Lisa about BFLs - that would be a good cross with a Cormo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a Cormo BL X fleec at the Greencastle fiber event that I blended with Angora 50% and I loved it. Its not as soft as pure cormo but is a long wool makes a soft but strong yarn. BFL has crossed my mind as well I know Lisa has had some colored lambs so that is something to think about. The reason for adding a colored cross is for all my black angora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I didn't know you bought lambs!! Good for you! One of us needs a lil flock. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the babies were so sweet. Glad to know 2 went to such a good home. Nice to meet you at the event.

    ReplyDelete