Monday, March 1, 2010

Rabbit Feed

The last 2 batches of Manna Pro I have bought the rabbits seem to not like, I have been finding more and more on the floor under the cages. So this weekend I went to the local TSC to look at feeds, we dont have much of a selection around here. I would love to find Pen Pals but no suck luck. My choices were Producers 15% protein or Purina 16% protein, other than the 2 kinds of Manna Pro they carry. I was feeding Manna Gro 18% but with all the issues I had with loosing babies I am afraid to switch back to a high protein feed. I ended up going with the Purina its the new formula they have for Rabbit Chow in a green bag. The only drawl back I have to this so far is it has corn in it. Now I really do not know the effects of corn but when I was in 4H we would feed hole cobs of corn to our rabbits and they never had any problems so I am hoping all will be good. Purina is a good feed so I am sure if there is a big issue with corn they would not put it in the feed. If I am wrong on this please let me know! So far its been 2 days and the rabbits are eating like they have never had pellets before. Rabbits that use to be very good eaters were leaving most of the Manna Pro and are now eating like hogs again. The babies that were scratching all their feed out on the floor seem to be eating more as well. So far I could not be happier but then again its only been 2 days. I was very disappointed they stopped eating the Manna Pro I have fed that for a couple years now and they have always done well on it. I have tried a couple different things here and there but always go back to Manna Pro. So really not sure whats going on this time but the bunns seem to love the new feed and its a nice small pellet that is very green and smells good. Its starting to look like spring is right around the corner, God Bless!

5 comments:

  1. I feed Manna Pro grow. Manna Pro is the only thing I can get in town here without having to drive 30 miles each way. My rabbits chow it down. In the past when I have noticed waste I cut down on the amount of feed they get per day and it stops. I also supplement with greens. All my rabbits get a big leaf of kale every week too. A big bundle at the store is 89 cents. I'm going to grow it this year as soon growing season comes around. Kale is a winter hardly plant. Our neighbors have some up now as decoration. Kale is a good preventative for wool block as well. I used Purina years ago and I liked it too. Now days I try to stay away from corn products just as a matter of principle. It seems like everything we eat and drink is made from corn. I doubt if it will hurt your rabbits though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am considering having some custom feed mixed for a group of us that raise rabbits and live close together. Actually, I have been feeding some that was milled but am cutting out the middle man to save money. I need to come up with a good formula/recipe so that makes me a little nervous. Keep us posted on how it goes for your animals. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Purina Fibre3. It is a corn-free feed. Corn is harmless in the proper proportion as far as energy goes, the main issue I have with it is its propensity for mold and the associated mycotoxins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 2 FA does grew up on Manna Gro, but all I can find in my area is Manna Pro. One eats like a piglet, but the other doesn't eat nearly so well. I read somewhere that a small amount of flax seed acts as an appetite stimulant. It can be found in the health food section of my local Kroger - little brown seeds that look like toasted sesame seeds. I give both about 1/4 teaspoon a couple of times a week (on a hard surface- like their chew block, so they get it all) and it never fails - I always wake up to an empty dish in my picky eater's cage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting about the flax seed! Ihave been having the same problem recently with my feeds. Unfortunately I stocked up on mana pro. I am wondering if part of my problem might be I mixed it with other stuff that they enjoy more and they are just picking out their favorite stuff.

    ReplyDelete