Monday, March 29, 2010

Turkeys and Drusilla

My hen turkey is starting to lay eggs I caught her on the nest today.

Here is a pic of the proud papa Tommy strutting his stuff

I am kinda starting to think both of my geese are females. They started a nest in one place but never laid any eggs, then the one I think is a female started setting in anther place. Annie my BC got into the nest and destroyed all the eggs so then the other goose went back to the original nest and started setting. I checked today and there are 4 eggs in the nest I just ain't sure who layed them. So far they have both set on a different nest. I have not had geese set before so I am not sure their mating habits. If anyone knows anything about raising geese I would love some advice.

This is Dusty's Drusilla a fawn 40% German cross. This little girl was clipped today and gave me 7oz of spinning wool, all prime not counting anything else as I only keep my prime wool. This doe has really nice color for a cross and has a TON of crimp in her wool. I am very pleased with how she is turning out so I will be breeding her soon to SWF Walley an 83% black buck that carries "e". I have thought really hard about giving up on my fawn project and only working on colors that are closer to being excepted in Giants. The way this girl looks and a couple of my Agoutis that carry "e" I dont think I can do that. It may mean less room for REWs in the barn but it may be worth it in the end. Hope you enjoyed the pics God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment