Friday, May 4, 2012

We have cows!

Matilda gave birth tonight and what an eventful evening it was!  Thank you Jesus I have the best vet in the world she ROCKS!  When I got home from work she had just started labor about 5 she went out to the pasture and you could only see one foot instead of 2 so dad had me call the vet.  I was so nervous the hole time while everyone else just seems to be going along with their evening like we were not have a crisis.  OK I freak but Dad has been through this before so knew what to expect.  By the time the vet got here we had Matilda moved back to the barn and in a stall.  She quickly went to work repositioning the calf and finding the other leg which was not easy for her to do.  It looked kinda painful for cow and vet at times.   She then put chains on the calves feet and tried pulling him but he was too big and had no luck so she broke out the calf jack which was really cool.  While the vet and Dad was doing all this I was trying to hold Matilda still and now my arms are killing me!  When the calf started to come Matilda laid down and I was able to help pull the calf and rub him down really good.  Sounds like a short process in this post but really it was NOT!  Here are a couple pics of the new baby I am calling Forest.



You can see my vet in the first pics poor lady was a mess when she got done!  I will be doing out a couple times tonight to check on the calf and make sure all is well.  God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dustin, it's Cary here from the old Christian Artisans group - I'm so glad to have caught up to your blog again! It looks like you're doing well ;)

    Some great posts here (congratulations on the cow and calf) and my goodness, that angora stash looks amazing! Will some of that roving be for sale eventually?!?

    God Bless you, Dustin

    ReplyDelete