Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ewe Pictures and a llama

It is incredibly nice out today and the sheep have been out grazing so I thought I would take pics of a couple to share with all of you.  When its really hot the sheep tend to lounge out under the trees and go out to graze late when the sun is going down.
Martha one of my first Shetland Ewes she is a moorit.
The black ewe on the left is 3/4 BL and 1/4 BFL She is from the same farm as my Finn crosses and Cormo crosses but I was not so sure at first about the BL, once I seen them after they got a little bigger I really liked them.  The ewe on the right is a Shetland Finn cross she has a wonderful fleece growing in!
This is Victory she is the first lamb born here on the farm.  A moorit Shetland out of Martha who will be staying here.
This is one of Dad's Cormo cross ewes, I still have her lamb fleece in the work room to get washed and figure out what I want to do with.
2 more of Dad's ewes not totally sure what the big ewe is and the lamb which is hers is 1/2 Cormo.  I am pretty sure Dad has more sheep than I do.  Once I got my Shetland he got bit by the bug and wanted some bigger sheep to raise.  I was ok with that as long as they had nice fleeces of course, not that I really had any say but hey if I get some nice wool out of it it sounds good!  He also got his way on the new ram, will be picking up a 3/4 Cormo ram lamb for this falls breeding.
The ewe in the middle is the Cormo cross ewe from a couple pictures ago.  The 2 lambs on each side of her are my Cormo Finn cross ewe lambs.  Not sure which is which but we have Miss Daisey and Rosie.
Of course I could not end this post without adding my favorite guard llama, Gama.  I have wanted a llama for as long as I could remember and have always said his name would be Gama.  I might have been 27 by the time I got him but the Lord blessed!  If this nice weather continues I will have to pull out some rabbits form my black Giant project to show you all as well.  God Bless! Dustin

3 comments:

  1. I really like the look of your Dad's Cormo x ewe. She looks nice and square and solid. I guess after the softness of your rabbits, alpaca, llama, etc, I'm surprised you would go for Border Leicester. Gorgeous sheen and beautiful for dyeing, but soft it's not. Maybe the 1/4 BFL will adjust that? I bought some purebred Cormo fleece at our fiber festival and it is very soft, but surprisingly greasy. It took lots of washing, and I'm still not sure it's all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb I am finding I like a variety of fleece types, while I do hope the BL tames down the BFL a little. I know I really enjoy a BL Cormo cross as well. I got a cormo fleece a year ago and it was very greasy as well. Took several washes but was well worth the end result when blended with Angora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, by all means, show us the Black Giant angoras!!!

    ReplyDelete