Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bunnies and Batts

I finally got around to taking pics of a couple of the new babies in my colored Giant projects.  I currently have 3 bucks left out of my oldest litter.  They were the biggest in the litter and all have good type the choc otter being my favorite so far.  The little black buck I may be selling for a wooler if he does not pick up some weight soon and catch up with his brothers.  Right now he is 6lbs and the 2 chocs are 6lbs 4oz.




 
I have been busy carding some Shetland wool as well and blending it with Angora.  I have finally made up my mind about what breed of sheep I want.  I am going with Shetlands because I like the range of colors, it blends well with Angora, and I can easily card it myself on the drum carder.  They are also a Primitive breed so are hardy and I wont have to worry about docking tails.  I am sure I will end up with one or two that are not Shetlands but Shetlands will make up the most of the spinners flock.  I have had a couple fleeces from one flock and will be going to visit another flock that my parents found at the North American soon and will be picking up a fleece to see how it works up.  Anyways here are the batts I have dyed carded and blended with Angora.  I still have some white and blue wool to do something with as well.



5 comments:

  1. Pretty rabbit and bats. You are busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dustin,
    What size carder do you have?? Looks big...
    I wish you lived closer. Love the color on those batts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri its 7 1/2'' wide, a Standard Louet is what it is will hold a lot of wool. I really enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely batts and beautiful bunnies.

    I'm really wanting a drum carder. My hands are so junky I have trouble trying to use a flicker let alone hand cards. I had wondered about the Louet cards glad to see an endorsement. Now to find a good deal on one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I want Shetlands too. They are my dream sheep. Small, hardy, small, fluke tails, small, many colors. I especially like the Emsket - dusky bluish-grey.
    Shetlands are perfect for those of us who are vertically challenged!

    ReplyDelete